Saturday, May 5, 2012

I forgot to mention to people that if your one to get all riled up over grammar, you better leave now... ;)

Oh, and if you are starting here read the post below titled "Faith" first.


       Emry is my people lover, she takes after me.  She loves children, outcasts, and always remembers to shut doors and turn off the lights!  Avlynne, not so much.  What I am learning about Avlynne is that I better listen up when she speaks.  Because likely she is speaking truth right into my life...


       To back this story up a bit I need to start back last fall I guess.  William and I had been discussing adoption.  I have always wanted to adopt.  To be honest, I have talked him into this crazy adventure.  Nowadays, he's on board with trying to give a home to at least 1 out of the Millions of orphans there are in the world.  I've seen the way he was with my nieces before our own children were born, I've seen the way he has treated babies and little girls that he knows are living with family members because there mothers are unfit/unable to care for them at this time.  I've seen the way these children love him back...   I simply cannot wait to watch him when God brings our child into our home.

       OK, sorry back to the story!  So I spent the next couple months really studying and trying to learn about this challenge that we wanted to pursue.  Let me tell you, we haven't even technically started and it's already a challenge!  Just trying to research good agencies, which country, what age of child, etc.  is enough to make my head spin.  You see, every country has it's own rules and regulations.  Who can adopt, how long you have to be married, your age, how many children you can have.  Just when I think I have found a good agency they don't work with the countries that we qualify for.  And just when I find an agency that has good reviews and they have the country that we might want to work with they are no longer taking clients for that country!  Ahhhhh.

       So, we had narrowed it down to Haiti, Africa, or Bulgaria.  China is taking up to 5-6 yrs for a healthy referral, and while you can request a special needs child faster, my heart just wasn't being led in that direction.  Russia, is I think the most expensive coming in at 40,000-50,000 for an adoption and a possible 3 trips to the country.  Most of the Central American countries do not have a flourishing adoption system, and most require 1 trip of 6 or more weeks of in country stay when you pick up your child.

       I had contacted an agency about there Haiti program and was advised by the orphanage director in Haiti that both parents must be 35 to adopt from that country.  We were a bit bummed, but kept looking at the other options.  It was about that time that Avlynne and I had read the book Heaven Is For Real (awesome book by the way!).  William was gone one night to the Caribou Hills.  We layed in my bed together and had such a sweet conversation.  It was like nothing I had ever experienced with her.  We didn't talk quickly, but let each word and thought meander out slowly and allowed time to digest the thoughts.  She explained how in the book the little boy talked about Jesus loving the children so much.  She said to me "I just keep thinking that if Jesus loves the children so much, then we should too."  I said, "yes Avlynne, we should and that is exactly why we are trying to adopt."  She went on to say that she really felt like we were supposed to adopt from Haiti, she didn't know why but strongly felt like God was telling her that.  I explained to her that at this time we could not, but if God wanted us to then he would make a way...

       Fast forward to this last week.  We still hadn't found an agency or country.  I was on to some leads, but nothing concrete.  A good option for us is the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Africa.  We meet all the qualifications. Although, there is a lot of talk in the adoption world that there are some bad things happening in the Congo.  Exploitation of children, bribes, and orphanages not making sure that parents know exactly what they are doing, etc etc.  It's these same problems that have taken Ethiopia from 50 cases down to just 5 cases per day starting in March 2011.  There is a possibility that we could still adopt from Congo, but we will be going in VERY cautious and keeping our eye out for these things.

       Meanwhile, for over a week I had been trying to get in contact with the same agency that I had planned on using for Haiti.  I felt instantly connected to them back in Jan.  I wanted to talk to her about her El Salvador program.  William was very excited about that country, as was I.  When we finally got to chat a couple days ago, she warned me that it is a very tough process and would only encourage us to pursue that country if we felt like God was laying it on our hearts and telling us that He would open the doors.  We also talked about there Congo program and some things she is wanting to change and implement.  While we were speaking I told her that we had tried to do the Haiti program but I wasn't old enough.  After a couple minutes she said wait, is your husband over 35?  I said yes, but we were told in Jan. that both had to be 35.  She went on to say that something had just been cleared up within the laws in Haiti, and that it is no longer an issue!  She had just talked with the Haiti director the day before and she had clearly spelled it out.  Whoa!  Do you hear that door creaking open???

        I have not been in contact with the Haiti director yet (apparently she is one of the best and very well known).  So hopefully early next week we will have a chance to talk and see if this is a good fit for us.  When I picked the girls up from school that day after talking with the agency, I asked them where they thought we should adopt from.  Of course, Avlynne said Haiti right away!  I let her know about the situation, and she kind of chuckles and says "I knew we were supposed to adopt from Haiti!"

I find it very coincidental that Willow was in the hospital on Wednesday and Thursday I talked with the agency.  Maybe I needed a shot of faith and answered prayer.

Open your eyes, you never know who God will have speak truth and blessing into your lives.


3 comments:

  1. LOL, Heaven is for Real! :) I look forward to "following" you on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say that I have added you guys to my prayer list!! I can't wait to hear how God is going to open those doors for you guys!! :) We, too have a heart for adoption and are currently going through the red tape to become foster parents and adopt again through that channel. After all, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashley!! I'm excited for you as well!

      Delete